24 September 2017 / Club News

A bonus point win for Ton

  Ferndale 17 - 33 Tonyrefail
                                 Tonyrefail travelled the short distance up the valley to take on Ferndale in this Div.3 East Central B game at Greenwood Park. The home side were promoted last season on the back of playing an expansive game which earned them a try bonus point in every game and Ton were well aware of this so had to be on their mettle.
                                 From the first whistle Ton took the game to Ferndale and almost immediately had the home side under pressure. They missed the chance of a second minute try when a poor pass missed its intended target and the chance was lost with the line begging. They kept the pressure on and recycled the ball a number of times and then moved it wide. It again seemed they were going to score but Ferndale intercepted a pass on their own five metre line for the right wing to run the length of the field to score under the posts. An accurate conversion put the home side in front and gave them what was to be their only score of the half.
                                Ton were back into home territory from the restart and it was apparent from the first scrum that they had the upper hand there and with ten minutes gone No8 Steve Driscoll picked up from the back of a five metre scrum to touch down for Ton's first score.   With Ferndale struggling in the scrums and line-outs they were unable to play their normal running game but on one or two occassions they broke free of Ton's defence and it took last ditch tackles to bring the ball carrier down but in the main it was Ton who had all the pressure, scoring two further tries by Huw Jones and Geraint Shalton. Garreg Lewis added the extras to both and by half time the visitors were 7-19 in front and looking comfortable.
                                In the second half the home side upped their game and for fifteen minutes they had much the better of play. Their forwards were far more competitive and on the fifty minute mark they crossed the line from close range to narrow the gap but the visitors replied a few minutes later as Ferndale were forced to defend their line. Geraint Shalton took a short pass at a lovely angle to burst over from five yards for his second try which was again converted by Garreg Lewis and Ton were back in control. Prop forward Matthew Price got Ton's fifth try to make the score 12-33 but Ferndale did not give up and in the closing minutes they cut the deficit with a try to make the final score 17-33.
                                 This was a good performance from Ton based on forward superiority. They created difficulty for the home side at every scrum and with their line-out failing to function properly Ferndale had very little good possession to enable them to play their prefered running game. Hopefully Ton can build on this in their home game against Ynysowen next week.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments