12 November 2017 / Club News

Ton in fifth place in league

     Caerau Ely 28 - Tonyrefail 21
                            Tonyrefail travelled to Cardiff for this Div3 East Central B game against Caerau Ely to find the home side in uncompromising mood and although they took an early lead with a forty yard penalty goal they were on the back foot for long periods against a side who used their big forwards off second and third phase play to pin the visitors back. This used the tactic to good measure and quickly replied to Ton's early efforts, to take the lead with a try out wide on their right but they failed to add the extras. The game continued with the visitors relying on a counter attacking game but the greasy ball made handling difficult and with twenty minutes gone Caerau Ely again attacked down their right to score their second try to take a 10-3 lead.
                            This spurred Ton into action and with passes going to hand they took play deep into home territory and from a five metre line out they set up a drive which looked certain to yield a try but the maul collapsed short of the line. The referee adjudged it to have been pulled down illegally and awarded Ton a penalty try and yellow card for the offending Caerau player concerned. Unfortunately, Ton did as they seem to do quite often, conceding a third try to Caerau almost straight from the restart but for the third time they failed to add the extra points and the half ended with a scoreline of 15-10.
                            In the second half Ton started well and they levelled the score with a nice try when they moved the ball wide from a lineout deep in the Caerau half for full back Huw Ritchens to enter the line and touch down but their scrum was beginning to creak as the forwards started to tire. They began to concede front row penalties and it gave the home team the opportunity to keep the scoreboard ticking over and keep Ton away from the try line. With ten minutes to go the score was 18 - 18 and Caerau had Ton under pressure when the referee yellow carded Ton's loose head prop and it basically sealed Ton's fate. The home side elected to scrummage, from which they scored and converted, to take a seven point lead and a try bonus point. With the game in the dying minutes Caerau stretched their lead with a further penalty goal but to their credit Ton finished strongly and took play back into home territory. with the game in the last minute they were awarded a penalty which they kicked to give them a losing bonus point.
                            This was a tough game for Ton with the defence being called upon to constantly tackle the home sides big ball carriers as they tried to smash their way through the middle and whilst they generally stopped them it was when the ball was moved wider they were found wanting. The losing bonus point keeps them in fifth place in the league and their small squad are punching above their weight. Their next game will be at home to Old Penarthians on the 9th December. 

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments