05 November 2017 / Club News

Ton take bonus point win.

       Tonyrefail 22 -  Hirwaun 12
                                        After a period of two seasons away Hirwaun were back at Tylcha Fawr to play this Div 3 East Central B game against Tonyrefail but although the home side took a bonus point win from it the game was generally a scrappy and unremarkable affair  with only one incident of any note.
                                       The game began with Ton taking the game to Hirwaun and two early try scoring opportunities were missed, along with two penalty goal attempts, before Hirwaun were able to relieve the pressure. Ton continued to have the better of things but in the twelfth minute there was an incident that ended in an almighty brawl involving most of the players in some way or other. This resulted in the referee red carding two players from Ton and three players from Hirwaun. Spectators were amazed as this was the first incident of its nature in the game and undoubtedly had an effect on how both sides were able to play from then on.
                                       As the game continued it was the home side making all the running but some stern defence kept them from the try line until the half hour mark when outside half Geraint Shalton was able to make some space for himself to touch down under the posts. Alex Pugsley converted and Ton were on the scoreboard. They were back on the attack from the restart and further tries from Sam Christopher and Geraint Shalton gave them a 17 - 0 lead at the half time whistle.
                                      In the second half Ton had the slope in their favour but Hirwaun scored their first points on forty three minutes with a try from a series of drives from a five metre line out but both sides were guilty of poor handling and the game became a scrappy stop, start affair. On the hour the home side secured the try bonus point when centre Sam Christopher made a lovely outside break from deep in his own half to take play to the Hirwaun line before being tackled but Geraint Shalton was on hand to take the pass and touch down.
                                      With players tiring and substitutions being made the game continued in its stop start fashion but Hirwaun were finishing the stronger and on the eighty minute mark they again crossed the try line after a series of forward drives to make the final score 22-12.
                                      While Ton can be happy with the bonus point win which consolidates their mid table position they now have the problem of the repercussions of any ban on the red carded players in view of their small player pool.  A few new players have turned up over the last few weeks so hopefully they will become long term gains to the squad. Next week Ton are away to Caerau Ely with an early kick off due to the international game on the same day. 

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments